Friday, January 15, 2010

The Waiting Place... Just for Waiting


I have been reading "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" with the kids and I always grimace at the thought of The Waiting Place. Dr Seuss sure has a way of scaring you right out of your pants. I am not talking about his depiction of loneliness or the Hakken-Kraks' howls. Dude, that's plenty scary. No, The Waiting Place tops my list as far as my fears are concerned.

How often are we caught waiting. Waiting for something to happen without doing anything to make it happen. I'm sure everyone has had spacey moments like this.

Some call it playing it by ear; others call it The Sabbatical. Ha ha. Kidding.

Sure, take a sabbatical if you're sure you're still doing something. Who wouldn't? I would. I was talking about a waiting sabbatical.

I mean, if you're sitting there idle, then you might as well have no dreams at all. No ambitions, no zeal for self-actualisation. Just sit there, watch the paint dry, watch the dust settle.... and enjoy the moment? No-sir-ree... not for me. It's not to say I have never been there before. I have. And now I know what it's called. The Waiting Place.

A lecturer in Uni used to say, "he who has lived the same two days is surely a loser." Well, that's comforting. It may have been from a Hadith and I'm not surprised if it is. And well, my classmates and I just rolled our eyes at each other, trying to look like we were experiencing and enjoying the great challenges of life sitting in that class of Business Decision Making. To think we sometimes balk at days that are challenging? That's not for me anymore. Don't get caught in The Waiting Place.

And as if you don't need any more convincing, I leave you with the wise words of Dr Seuss.

"... for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go

or a bus to come, or a plane to go

or the mail to come, or the rain to go

or the phone to ring, or the show to snow

or waiting around for a Yes or No

or waiting for their hair to grow.

Everyong is just waiting."


"Waiting for the fish to bite

or waiting for wind to fly kite

or waiting around for Friday night

or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake

or a pot to boil, or a Better Break

or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants

or a wig with curls, or Another Chance,

Everyone is just waiting."

1 comment:

  1. Assalamualaikum Maria,
    I have been reading some of your articles and love the content. I would really like to have you write some articles for an Islamic Lifestyle magazine in Sri Lanka named The Halal World. We are now on our 10th issue which we hope to publish pre-ramadan. Please let me know if you would be interested in writing. I can post you a few of our past copies for you to take a look Insha Allah

    ReplyDelete